Portobello mushroom salad with rosemary balsamic glaze
I was watching “Secrets of a Restaurant Chef” the other day on the Food Network and Anne Burrell made a fantastic looking portobello mushroom salad as an appetizer before her main course.
I don’t know about you, but I love mushrooms! They are the yin to my yang.
My salad actually went in a completely different direction than that of Anne Burrell’s. I used arugula, tomato, and some feta. More of a traditional salad fare.
The whole scheme of ingredients really came together well. I particularly liked how the earthiness of the mushroom was counterbalanced with the tang of the balsamic, but not overpowered. No single ingredient tried to steal the show but rather they all worked together.
A unique feature of this portobello mushroom salad is the rosemary balsamic glaze. I read somewhere that adding a fresh sprig of rosemary to a balsamic reduction infuses an amazing flavor. And they were right! It added just the right amount of that pine flavor that only rosemary can offer.
I highly recommend this tasty salad for all of you mushroom lovers out there. This recipe only feeds one so if you are making this for a crowd just double, triple, or quadruple the recipe! 🙂
- 1 portobello mushroom cap
- 1 cup of arugula
- 2 tablespoon of diced tomatoes
- ½ of an avocado sliced
- 1 green onion diced
- ⅛ cup of feta cheese
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- The balsamic rosemary glaze:
- 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
- ½ teaspoon of honey
- 1 sprig of fresh rosemary
- Brush the portobello mushroom cap with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and grill for about 2 minutes on each side. Set aside and slice into strips.
- Bring the balsamic vinegar, honey, and rosemary to a boil. Reuce heat and simmer for about 2 minutes until the balsamic has reduced to about a teaspoon of sauce. Discard the rosemary sprig and let cool.
- Toss the arugula with the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil, salt, and pepper. Plate the arugula. Top with the tomatoes, diced green onion, avocado, mushroom slices, and feta cheese. Drizzle with the 1 teaspoon of rosemary balsamic reduction.