Fiesta chicken quesadilla pie with pickled salsa
Let’s make it a fiesta tonight! Ever heard of a chicken quesadilla pie? Me either, but it’s a brilliant concept. Its not a traditional pie like you might expect, but rather four quesadillas stacked on top one one another and then baked just like a pie. It’s a cheesy masterpiece that packs a punch at the standard quesadilla.
In a way the assembly is somewhat faster since you can cook all of the quesadillas together and not have to worry about each individual one. Not to mention, the serving size of one piece of this “pie” is enough to really fill you up.
I used two kinds of cheeses to give some extra cheesy bite: monterey jack and pepper jack. You can certainly substitute another cup monterey jack if you don’t want the extra kick. A quesadilla is like a blank slate. You can put all of your favorite ingredients together to make your very own creation. I kept mine relatively simple with just green peppers, mushrooms, and chicken as the main filling. Of course, cheese seals the deal so use plenty of it! Lack of cheese is a sin.
The initial cooking stage can be cumbersome. It can also be done ahead. All of the quesadilla fillings should be cooked ahead so when its time for assembly, everything is on an even playing field. Some people like raw or undercooked veggies on their quesadillias. That’s fine! There’s no law against it. Personalize your fiesta according to your tastes. That’s the point right? The only mandatory ingredient is sour cream. No ifs, ands, or buts about it.
In all seriousness, try a quesadilla pie. You’ll love it. Oh, I almost forgot. Serve with the pickled salsa for an enjoyable tang. If you don’t like tang, go with store bought salsa. 🙂
- 1 pound of chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons of Cajan, Chili, or Quesadilla seasoning
- 14 ounces of white button mushrooms (sliced)
- 1 large green bell pepper (sliced into strips)
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- 4-5 large tortillas
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Sour cream to garnish
- Green onions (chopped) for garnish
- The pickled salsa- optional
- 1 large tomato (diced)
- ½ of a red onion (thinly sliced)
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- ½ tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Season the chicken breasts with the Cajun/ quesadilla seasoning, ¼ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon pepper. Cook in skillet for about 4 minutes per side until done. Chop chicken into small strips or cubes.
- Heat another tablespoon of olive oil and cook the mushrooms and peppers until slightly tender with some charred marks.
- In a slightly greased pie pan, place a tortilla on the bottom. Sprinkle with some of the monterey jack cheese, green peppers, mushrooms, and chicken. Top with some of the pepper jack cheese. Repeat this step until you have 3 or 4 layers. Top the whole quesadilla pie with a buttered tortilla.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake for an additional 10 minutes so that the top of the pie becomes a golden brown.
- The pickled salsa
- Mix and combine all ingredients. Let set for 30 minutes. Drain and use as a condiment.