Flatbread pizza with caramelized onions, spinach, feta, and tomatoes
Hold on while I pick the crumbs off of myself. Ok, back.
This pizza is by far my new favorite! It has every element of an artisan pizza with just the right ingredients to make it extra special. You start out with the pizza sauce which is Alfredo sauce. That’s like starting out a race with a 5 minute advantage. Then you layer on the healthy spinach to compensate for the Alfredo sauce. Gotta stay balanced right?
Now here’s the secret weapon: onions caramelized with diced dried apricots. The apricots add a subtle sweetness to the pizza that sends it over the top in flavor.
I used Naan bread because its inexpensive and just the right size for an artisan flatbread pizza. You can make your own flatbread pizza dough if you wish but its much easier just to grab some Naan whenever you are out. This recipe is made for two medium sized pieces of Naan so if you buy a large flatbread pizza crust you might have to adjust the quantity of ingredients accordingly.
This pizza was so good that Amber and I had it twice in one week. Its a simple dinner that’s perfect for a busy day when you don’t have time to cook. Enjoy some artisan pizza at home!
- 2 medium sized Naan bread
- 4 thin slices of tomato
- 4 thin slices of mozzarella cheese
- ⅓ cup of feta cheese
- 1 loosely packed cup of spinach
- ⅓ cup of thinly sliced onions
- 1 tablespoon of dried apricots (sliced)
- 6 teaspoons of Alfredo sauce
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Saute the onion slices and diced dried apricots in olive oil for 8-10 minutes on medium low until the onion is slightly caramelized.
- Place the two pieces of Naan bread on a baking sheet. Spoon on 3 teaspoons of Alfredo sauce per Naan and lightly cover the crust. Layer on even amounts of spinach per pizza and then sprinkle on the dried apricots and caramelized onions. Then place two slices of tomato and mozzarella per pizza. Sprinkle on the feta cheese evenly over both pizzas and then salt and pepper to season.
- Bake in oven for 11 minutes so that the cheese melts and the Naan is slightly crunchy. Enjoy!