I bet I know what you’re thinking. You are wondering what in the world CPB pot roast is. I really didn’t know how to name it any other way. The “CPB” stands for Chicken-Pork-Beef. This pot roast utilized, at least in some form, chicken (chicken stock), Pork (Sausage), and Beef (the roast). Pretty cool huh?
Roasts in the slow cooker are a treat on their own in that they make your whole house smell amazing. You walk in and bam! The smell hits you smack dab in the face and activates salivary glands to the point of hopeless drooling.
Ok, maybe not quite that dramatic, but its pretty darned close.
I used a 2- 2 1/2 pound roast in this recipe. I find that the smaller roasts are more manageable in the slow cooker since I end up piling a bunch of veggies under and around the roast. I cooked it low and slow for 9 hours. Oh and searing the roast on all sides before placing it in the slow cooker is an important step too! Look at it as a flavor sealing step that locks in the savory juices for your personal enjoyment at the end of roasting.
I came up with the “CPB” method out of frustration as to what kind of roast to make. I literally agonized about it all day until I said heck with it lets just use the sausage, chicken stock, and beef all together. There is no rule against that right? Sometimes I tend to think that chicken has to have chicken stock and beef has to have beef stock. It feels like you’re going against the laws of nature by mixing up the combos.
Sometimes going against the laws of nature isn’t a bad thing, and in this case, it was a delicious break from the norm.
- 2 pound beef roast
- ¼ cup of sausage
- 1 cup of pre cut carrots
- 1 whole white onion (sliced thinly)
- 3 sticks of celery (chopped)
- 1½ cup of diced tomatoes
- 1½ cup of chicken stock
- 3 Russet potatoes (cubed)
- A handful of thyme stems with leaves
- A handful of minced parsley
- 1 14.5 ounce can of kidney beans
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Kosher salt
- ½ tablespoon pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot. Season the roast with ½ teaspoon Kosher salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Sear on each side for 3-4 minutes. Set aside.
- In the same pot, add the sausage, onions, carrots, celery, ½ tablespoon salt, and ¼ tablespoon pepper. Cook until the sausage is done.
- Add the tomatoes, chicken stock, butter, and kidney beans. Bring to a boil. Taste for seasoning.
- In a slow cooker, add the cubed potatoes and then lay the roast on top of that. Pour in the tomato/stock mixture over top of the roast. Add in the lemon juice, thyme, and parsley. Cook on low for 9 hours. Remove the thyme stems and enjoy!