Do you have too much zucchini laying around with nothing to do with it? A great way to spice up your zucchini into a unique dish is to bake your zucchini into sticks, almost like fries, and then you can dip them into a fresh marinara sauce. How’s that for a fresh take on garden zucchini? It makes a great low fat appetizer to take full advantage of left over zucchini.
This is about how large I cut my zucchini. Nice large sticks so they make a hearty appetizer.
Try to cover most of the zucchini stick with your breadcrumb Parmesan mixture. It might take some coaxing!
Note: You can use any sauce of your choice to dip your zucchini stick into. Go southwest, Italian, or whatever you want. Be creative! I used marinara because I had some on hand and felt in the mood to go the Italian route.
- 4 small to medium zucchini
- 1/2 cup of seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup of grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- marinara sauce
- fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Cut the zucchini into sticks (about 1/2 inches thick). You can peel the zucchini or leave the peel on.
- Beat the egg into an egg wash. Mix the bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese together.
- Dip each zucchini stick into the egg wash and then into the bread crumb mixture. Lay zucchini sticks on a greased backing sheet.
- Bake for about 25 minutes or until the zucchini are a nice golden brown. Serve on a platter, salt and pepper to taste, and garnish with fresh chopped parsley. Dip in marinara sauce of your choice.