Some of the best creations are unplanned and spontaneous. Indeed, this dinner was just that. It turned into a sensational new family favorite practically overnight. I made it twice in one week simply out of pure craving.
Pasta with a sausage tomato cream sauce is rich and full of flavor. It’s the perfect winter comfort food. I used farfalle pasta (bow tie), but you could certainly use a penne or spaghetti.
If you need some kick, add red pepper flakes to the sauce. A sprinkling of fresh Parmesan shavings give a rustic balance to this hearty dish. Fresh parsley brightens it up and brings it to life. Serve this with a fresh salad and full glass of red wine. Enjoy and eat well!
- 1/2 pound ground Italian sausage
- 1 cup red sauce or spaghetti sauce
- 1 1/2 cups half and half
- 1 cup of diced red onion
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 pound farfalle pasta
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Parmesan cheese for sprinkling
- Fresh Italian parley chopped (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Bring large pot of water to a boil, salt, and cook pasta according to package directions.
- In a large skillet, brown the sausage and then set aside. Add olive oil to the empty skillet and cook the cup of red onions until soft (about 3 minutes).
- Add in the garlic, stir and cook for an additional two minutes until fragrant.
- Pour in the tomato sauce, cream, and sausage into the skillet. Stir to mix and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for about 15 minutes or until the sauce reaches the consistency that you want.
- Drain pasta and mix with the sauce. Sprinkle Parmesan shavings and fresh parsley over the pasta. Serve and enjoy!